BAMS Medal Makers Award 2023
APPLICATIONS NOW CLOSED
The BAMS Medal Makers Award 2023 – invitation to apply
This award is given annually by the British Art Medal Society. It has been made by possible
by a generous gift to BAMS from the sculptor and medal maker Ron Dutton, which the
society received in 2020.
The award is given to one or more UK-based artists who either are set to graduate from art
college during the calendar year of the announcement of the award or have graduated within
12 months of the announcement. It is intended to help artists to continue to make medals
CLOSING DATE June 30th 2023
Activities that the award is intended to assist include (but are not limited to):
- equipping a medal-making studio with the necessary tools
- travelling in order to research medals
- contacting organisations and individuals to encourage them to commission medals
- travelling to and spending time with an experienced medallist (the society can help
Proposals are now invited from eligible artists, that is, UK-based artists who graduated
in 2022 or are set to graduate in 2023. Applications ranging from £200 to £800 will be
Proposals should include:
- The name and full contact details of the applicant including their postal address.
- A curriculum vitae and brief statement on plans for the future.
- Images of recent work (6 maximum).
- A brief explanation of how the applicant intends to spend the award (200 words
maximum). This should explain how the funding would allow them to continue to
- The sum applied for and a breakdown of how it is to be spent.
- Each sheet of the application should bear the applicant’s name.
Applications should be sent to Janet Larkin, BAMS secretary, at [email protected]
and should be received by 30th June 2023. No email should exceed 2MB in total size or it
may be blocked.
The society may subsequently request further information.
The society will decide whether to fund each application in whole or in part or not to provide
funding. The society’s decision is final.
Applicants will be informed of the society’s decision by the end of July. Successful
applicants will receive their funding shortly afterwards.
Successful applicants will be expected to produce a brief report on how the funds have
been spent and the outcomes made possible by the funding. Successful candidates reports must be submitted by 1 st November 2023.
BAMS reserves the right to refrain from making an award in any particular year.